Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Quickie Post: A Studio Tip

Like everyone else these days, we've been enormously busy getting ready for the holidays and trying to finish up a few lingering projects. I've been doing a lot of roll printing (it is so addicting...) and thought I'd share a quick tip for helping to saw out the printed metal that I came up with (out of desperation).

The design on the metal can sometimes be really hard to see well enough to saw along the lines, so I cover the top of metal with black Sharpie.


Then I use a high grit (very fine) sanding sponge to remove the black from just the top of the metal.



This leaves the printed pattern clearly visible, which makes sawing along the lines much, much easier.


It's also super easy to clean up - a few minutes in the pickle and a good scrub with a brass brush and some soap, and the piece is sparkling and clean.

If you're scrambling to get your projects finished before the end of the year, you might want to check out our Tutorials page for more tons more tips and tricks. Here are a few of my favorites:







Merry Christmas!

Until next time -




1 comment :

  1. That's very cool, not sure I ever would have thought of it. What are you going to use that pretty cute out piece for?

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.