Friday, June 24, 2016

Summer Struggles

I remember when the summer was the best time of the year...off from school, long days playing with friends, no bedtime, fun trips, et cetera.  I've discovered though, as an adult, summer has transitioned into my least favorite time of year.  People on vacation from work, allergies, heat, fleas...it just seems like the world is conspiring to use up every free minute of my time.

In the midst of the madness, it's really important to carve out some time for myself - really, it's the only way to make it through!  Somehow I manage to squeeze in a few fun events and short trips.  I also tote easy projects to work, so I can be sure to have something other than a tablet game to do at lunch.  Today, I thought I would share some of my recent projects and a shindig.
At work I help to organize a "wellness" group for the other creatives on staff.  Twice a month we are scheduled for one of the big conference rooms during lunch, simply a dedicated time to socialize and craft!  Most of the time the group is pretty small, and we just have a really nice time getting away from our desk, chatting with other people that know what we deal with all day long.  It's also great see what everyone is working on...and for some of us, this is the only time that we are able to dedicate to our creative side.  The last meeting we had I was able to do a "Jewelry 101" session, focusing on badge lanyards.  I had 2 students, one made a neck lanyard, and one wanted a stretchy bracelet lanyard.  I brought in beads to share and they went to town - the purple pearl lanyard is my own!
If it's not a craft group day, I usually eat lunch at my desk.  I put my headphones on and listen to a book.  I might play a couple of games on my tablet...and then I color.  I have a stash of coloring books that I keep at work, with a box of crayons, colored pencils, and markers - occasionally I even have time to break out the coloring when I'm on the phone with someone long winded.  It's a great break for my brain, and that need for my hands to be busy.
I have made a bit of time lately to cut and sew some new clothes for one of my ball joint dolls too, including...
Tiny Alice!
Awhile back a friend invited me to one of the Belle Meade Plantation's Nerd Night events.  We met up at the visitor center after work one day, dressed in our wonderland finest for an "Underland" twisted Alice in Wonderland themed tea party.  We lounged and chatted in a lovely garden with other fantastic creative people.  Tiny Alice received much appreciation, and it was so lovely to just sit outside for a few hours with nothing better to do.  One of the things I thought most interesting was that with no planning at all, not a single person was dressed as the same character!  Our host Genevieve had even made a bunch of headbands and hair pieces decorated with playing cards - I found a small one and Tiny Alice was able have a veiled fascinator.  So much fun!

And now I'm back to the weekend nose to the grindstone of studying for my impending insurance licensing exams.  And attempting not to break out in hives from some unknown allergen.  Perhaps I will brave the outside world for a trip to the flea market when I get study blind...Or maybe I'll color instead.

Do you have a way to make time for your creative endeavors when life takes over?  We would love to hear about how you make time for your projects in this crazy season!

No comments :

Post a Comment

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.