Monday, August 1, 2016

In A New York State Of Mind

It's been a month since I moved from Jersey to New York.  In that time, I've had a chance to explore and get settled in.  There hasn't been much beading or crafting happening but I kind of expected that.  I also won't have a studio space until September so there's been zero bead-making either. On the other hand, I've had plenty of opportunities to take photos of beautiful things.

Lake Ontario
One of the first things I did when I got up here was go see Lake Ontario.  I now live 6 miles from the lake and have been privy to several beautiful sunsets there.  You really can't take a bad photo of this place.

All That Jazz Antiques
I also made a trip to one of my all-time favorite antique stores.  All That Jazz Antique Mall is just a few miles away from my home and is FULL of treasures!  I came home with a bit of jewelry, a creepy piggy bank and some man-tiques for Colin.

Woolpets Bunny Kit
And as I mentioned, I haven't done much creating but I did take the time to try out this needle-felting kit from WoolPets.  The kit came with everything you need except for a foam pad, which I ordered separately from them.  I was really confused at first (even though the instructions are clear...this is so different from anything I'd done before) and was discouraged when my bunny was looking more like a white log.  With enough stabbing though, I ended up with an actual wool bunny...

Finished Bunny
It could use some clean-up work but I'm happy.  I ordered a few more kits from various shops on Etsy so that I can explore this some more.

Pittsford
I've also done a bit of exploring in Pittsford over at Schoen Place.  This is a cute little shopping and restaurant area that the Erie Canal runs through.  There's also a small bead store here but I haven't had a chance to go in it yet.

Office
And my main project (besides unpacking the entire house) has been to put together my office.  All of the furniture is finally up and all the beads are unpacked.  There's still several boxes of craft supplies and artwork that need to be opened and put away.  I think I'll have it done in the next week or so.

I hope you've enjoyed this little peek into my new world!

Happy Beading!

6 comments :

  1. Welcome to NY Diane!I'm sure you've already heard about this but next year you'll have to check out (if not be in) the Corn Hill Arts Festival, http://cornhillartsfestival.com/. I've been once - many great artists. Hope you have an easy transition.

    -Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! My in-laws recently moved from Marion to Irondequoit, and WNY summers are the best. Check out Forman Park near Pultneyville.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bunny is very cute! I tried my hand at needle felting and found it a lot more work and time then I imagined. I do the look of the end products!

    I hope you will be very happy in your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great! That will be a fantastic space once it's all put together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to Rochester! I live on the East side of town. We have 2 great bead stores here: Let's Bead and Bead Breakout and both carry a good amount of art beads. Glad you're settling in and hope you're enjoying the beautiful summer we're having!

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.